Department of Educational Communication & Technology
The Department of Educational Communication & Technology is one of the FOUR Departments in the School of Education of the College of Education & External Studies
The Department of Educational Communication and Technology was established in 1972 as a component of the Faculty of Education. It was located in the Education Building at main campus. The department was re-located to the College of Education and External studies in 1988 upon re-establishment of the Faculty of Education.
The role of the Department is to equip students of education with knowledge, competencies, orientation and ability to carry out effective teaching. The department transforms students into teachers by offering courses in general methods of teaching, subject methods educational technology, production of teaching and learning resources and media, micro-teaching and teaching practice.
The department has also launched courses in Early childhood Education, which are taken by students at certificate, diploma and degree levels.
Dr. Paul A. Odundo April 2013 to date
Previous Chairs of Depatment:
- Launching of Master of Education in Early Childhood programme in 2007.
- Enlarged and enhanced Teaching Practice to incorporate all faculties in the Univeristy making it happen in all school terms of the year.
- Introduction of Bachelor of Education (Science) in the year 2001 at Chiromo Campus for Parallel students.
- Development of materials for online teaching and learning by distance mode. All the first year B.Ed ECE modules have been developed.
- Training of all University of Nairobi lecturers and professors in all faculties in pedagogy to enable them acquire teaching/lecturing skills.
- Launching of Early Grade Reading Instruction Curriculum (EGRIC) Project on 14th February 2013 at Kenya Science Campus. It will run for two years full sponsored by USAID. It aims to develop capacity of teachers to use high quality age appropriate instructional materials and resources in English and Kiswahili.
- Introduction of self-sponsored programmes.
- Introduction of Early Childhood Education Programme at Certificate, Diploma and Degree level.
- The Department precides over on-going Teaching Practice, a Senate approved activity which takes place every year. The groups on teaching practice are as follows: B.ED ECE 95, B.ED (ARTS) 571, B.ED (Agriculture) 32 and B.ED (ARTS) School of Continuing 1000. Academic Members of staff are continuously supervising and guiding students on their professional development and sharing with stakeholders changing trends in teahcing methodologies.
- Updating and uploading of the Website has raised visibility of the Department. The Website has raised the profile of individudal members of staff, department, school, college and University locally and globally.
- PhD programmes have been reinvigorated by thesis in various subject specialization.
- The Department has 11 PhD holders who are vigorously involved in capacity building, supervision of masters and doctoral thesis, teaching, examination and supervision of Teaching Practice. Out of 20 academic staff level, 9 hold Master degrees. They are all mentored to obtain doctorate degrees and publish articles from their thesis in refereed journals.
- The Department has made sure all the news and events taking place are made public through the quarterly newsletter which has been posted in website.
- The Department launched the Early Grade Reading Instruction Curriculum (EGRIC) in February 14th 2013. The programme is a two-year fully sponsored project by USAID. Teh project aims to develop the capacity of teachers using high quality multi-genre, culturally relevant and age-appropriate instructional materials and resources in English and Kiswahili. EGRIC hopes to complement and fill an existing gap in teacher education through equipping teachers with reading knowledge and skills to enhance reading literacy in pre-unit upto standard 3.
- Conferences: Dr. Paul Odundo, the Chairman of the Department has attended two conferences namely:
- Global Health Metrics and Evaluation Conference 2013
in Seattle W.A., U.S.A.
- 2013 Costa Rica Conference on business and Finance.
- The Department has concretized monthly Departmental Seminars which have enabled members to present papers on topical issues in Educational Methodologies and subscribe to refereed journals. The Chairman is also spearheading contributions to the envisaged journal of Pedagogy to increase visibility of the Department.
- The Department is fast tracking the development of M.ED Subject Methods in different specialization viz Business Studies, mathematics, Goegraphy, Christian Religious Education, History among others. The Department will be holding a Workshop on 29th July 2013 to finalize the draft syllabus for upward movement. the Chairman is also tracking doctoral programs in subject methods and Early Childhood Education.
- The Department in consultation with with Director, Open and Distance e-Learning (ODEL) is organizing a Writers Workshop slated for late August 2013 which will enable the Department to adopt e-Learning mode in Early Childhood Educaiton at diploma and degree levels.